KEY COMPONENTS OF SUCCESSFUL SOCIAL MOVEMENTS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"For me, the most important lesson
[of the Freedom Movement] is that by respecting the fact that fellow activists could passionately disagree over strategy and tactics—yet remain allies—they strengthened SNCC and the Movement as a whole."
From Bruce Hartford's article in Urban Habitat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
MY WEBSITE: educationanddemocracy.org

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I got a chance to look at some of the more recent posts. I even commented on the most recent one sharing my opinion of what I think of chanting. I also wanted to say that I watched the one where they sing at the foreclosure meeting and it made me cry :( i don't know why but the singing really means so much more to me and probably most people. There is something about the human that we are spiritually (?) connected with music. It speaks to something that seems to be more than ourselves and metaphysical (?) even. I had a conversation with Mel (my partner) today about how some people are offended that occupiers are having drum circles. I think its great; better than chanting in my opinion! Drum circles create beats that speak to us in a simpler way; it is tribal. Song and drum circles fortifies that web that connects us together as one human race. I think Occupy wants to do something unique when they chant back at each other. Maybe they have over analyzed how to be most effective. This fight is for BASIC human rights (home, freedom, security) so I think the method of protest should tap into those basic primal urges. Tribal. Song. Drum Circle! These things bring us together and make us feel HUMAN. The Wall Street bozo tycoon oh so rich types are missing this. They have detached themselves from the human race and basic human emotions, basic animal emotions even. If a dog sees another dog dying, it feels sadness and barring its own safety will try to help it. Yet people in the 1% (talking to you BoA) will see people lose their homes, destroy families and drive people to suicide and not bat an eyelash. The dog that helps another is better than those scumbags in my opinion. I'm sorry about this unending rant. I am just pretty disgusted with the whole system and was really moved by the videos posted here. Thanks for sharing Kathy.

No comments: